It’s getting to that busy time of year – the rush to buy gifts in time, plan end-of-year celebrations, and finish off important work before the office closes for the year. We’re exhausted but we’re excited – it’s nearly time for a break!
And while we don’t want to ruin the party or rain on anyone’s parade, it’s important to keep a few things in mind to make sure that everybody stays happy and safe in the holiday season. Some of them may seem fairly obvious, but unfortunately, some types of injuries and accidents remain common over the festive season.
Some things to consider:
- Fire Hazards
- Check that your Christmas tree and other decorations are fire resistant and non-combustible.
- It is also important to ensure that the tree, decorations, and any wrapping paper or ribbons are a safe distance away from any fireplaces, heaters, or radiators (not that we’ll be needing those in this weather!)
- When using electric lights, always read the instructions and check that there are no loose or frayed electrical wires (even if the lights are brand new).
- As most of us know, alcohol impairs our coordination and motor skills. So don’t drink and decorate!
- When putting up decorations, ensure that you have the right tools for the job. Use a secure ladder instead of standing on furniture, inspect your ladder before use, and wear appropriate footwear.
- Try to avoid breakable or flammable decorations.
Service Excellence Consulting would like to wish you all a safe and happy holiday season. We look forward to communicating with you in the new year. Our offices will reopen on 15 January 2018.